With changing seasons, we often fall prey to diseases like the seasonal flu or the common cold. Though easily treatable, they are highly contagious and can also distress the patient with bouts of fever and body pain. So how do you stay safe and secure against the common cold and seasonal flu?
What is Seasonal Flu and Cold?
Seasonal influenza, or more commonly known as seasonal flu; attacks the respiratory tract. A micro-organism, or influenza, is the prime attacker and travels quickly from person to person, making the disease highly contagious. It is mostly the aftermath of the change in weather when the body is acclimatizing itself to the change. If left unchecked flu can also lead to serious health issues like pneumonia.
The common cold is also quite similar to the flu, but less aggressive and is mostly caused by the rhinovirus. It too attacks the respiratory tract and is highly infectious as well.
Seasonal Flu: The symptoms, in this case, are more severe and develop rapidly in comparison to the common cold. Some of the symptoms are:
- Clogged nose
- Sore throat
- Body aches
- High fever
Cold: The common cold is mostly characterized by:
- Constricting of the larynx
- Mild fever
- Blocked nose
- Frequent headaches
- Sinus infection lasting for a couple of days
- Hydrate with a balanced solution of ORS.
- Use expectorants and cough suppressants to treat cough.
- Patients should consume a diet rich in proteins to help build up strength.
- People suffering from seasonal flu should avoid tobacco and alcohol.
Cold: Though cold subsides with time, there are some tips that a patient can follow for a quick recovery, and to ease the discomfort.
- Gargling with hot water, salt or lemon juice and honey soothes the sore throat.
- Steaming helps unclog blocked nose; it also alleviates headache caused due to sinus.
- Regular fluid intake is essential to prevent dehydration and thin the mucus to enable natural expulsion.
Prevention is Better than Cure
Seasonal Flu: Since the flu is particularly very contagious, it is better to be safe than sorry. Here are some measures to protect oneself against the disease.
- Getting vaccinated is important as influenza is a respiratory virus that can be avoided by vaccination.
- Healthy lungs can help keep flu at bay. Work out every day and avoid activities like smoking that can dampen the organ's strength.
- Maintain hygiene. Carry a sanitizer with you and always cough or sneeze into a handkerchief.
Cold: The common cold is an airborne disease that can easily affect people. Counter the effects of the common cold with these simple tips:
- Wash your hands as often as you can.
- Keep the household surfaces like kitchen slabs clean and hygienic.
- In the case of children, wash their soft toys and bedding regularly.
- Abstain from smoking.
The common cold and seasonal flu are some of the most common diseases that affect people. For those going through it, there is nothing to worry about, save for the occasional weakness and body aches. With plenty of rest, warm food and fluid intake generally help in the healing process.
For more information, you can contact always consult a specialist doctor on DocsApp.
Did you know? You can save over ₹5000 on annual health expenses by becoming a DocsApp Gold Member? DocsApp Gold provides unlimited consultations for you and your family in 20 specialties for 1 year only at ₹999!