If you consider the 4th of February as just another day in the calendar, it’s time for some change. Every year, 4th February is celebrated as World Cancer Day. People from all over the globe come together to knock down the devil named Cancer. They say, “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.” That being said, let’s get to know Cancer by taking a look at some interesting facts.
1) Cancer was first described by the ancient Egyptians.
2) There are more than 100 types of cancer affecting various parts of the body.
3) An estimated 5% to 10% cancers are entirely hereditary.
4) Over 20,000 people die of cancer every day.
5) Prediabetes increases cancer risk by 15%.
6) Smoking causes an estimated 90% of lung cancer.
7) Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women worldwide, with an estimated 458,400 deaths a year.
8) Breast cancer is more common in the left breast than the right.
9) Cancer is not just one disease; rather it is a set of diseases.
10) Getting less than six hours of sleep each day increases your risk of developing colon cancer.
11) The most common cancers among men are prostate, lung, and colorectal (colon) cancer. For women, it’s breast, lung, and colorectal cancer.
12) Cancer causes more deaths than AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis combined.
13) Over 30% of cancer can be prevented by avoiding tobacco and alcohol.
14) There are approximately 30 million cancer survivors worldwide.
15) Every day, more than 40 children are diagnosed with cancer in the U.S. alone
16) Skin cancer is the most common cancer.
17) Simple physical exercise can reduce the risk of breast cancer by 25%
18) One cigarette contains over 4800 different chemicals, out of which 69 are known to cause cancer.
19) Studies suggest that multivitamins increase the risk of cancer. ‘
20) Angelina Jolie’s breast cancer announcement doubled the number of women being tested in it’s first few months.
21) High exposure to UV rays is linked to skin cancer.
22) Breast Cancer kills approximately 500 men in the U.S each year.
23) Trained dogs can sniff out prostate cancer with 98% accuracy.
24) If you could live long enough, it is inevitable that one of your cells will develop cancer.
25) Plants can get cancer.
26) Every 13 minutes, a woman dies from breast cancer in the U.S.
27) Musician Eddie Van Helen blamed guitar picks for giving him tongue cancer.
28) Injecting gold into the body can help fight cancer.
29) In USA and Canada, there is a service called ‘Cleaning for a Reason’ which cleans the houses of women with cancer for free so that they can focus on their own health.
30) In 2015, a Michigan doctor was sentenced to 45 years in prison for giving chemotherapy to a person who didn’t really have cancer.
31) Nitrites are chemical additives used to preserve and add flavoring to most lunch meats like hot dogs and nitrites have been linked to cancer.
Now that you know cancer a lil’ better than you did before, it’s time to bring a change. Head to this website now and do your bit to fight against cancer.
Spread the word against cancer. Spread the love!
If you need help, help is just an app away!